As a participant on Guatemala Hope Missionary Trips, you have the responsibility of representing the Corporation of Guatemala Hope and your country to the people of Guatemala.
You are expected to conduct yourself in a manner that will bring honor to you and those you represent. To do that you will need to:
- Know that illegal drugs are prohibited at all Mission Trip events. In Guatemala, possession of even small amounts of illegal drugs will result in immediate arrest as a trafficker and delays of 2-4 years before a court date.
- Treat program areas, lodging areas and transportation vehicle with respect and care.
- Participate in planned events, meetings and assignments. If you are not feeling well or if you have a conflict, please tell the project leader or trip coordinator.
- Dress in a modest fashion.
- Conduct yourself with behavior and language appropriate to Christian morality.
- Model respect and dignity for other persons, both with the missionary group and with the villagers.
- Take every precaution to ensure your own health and safety.
You are expected to follow the Guatemala Hope approved general principles and policies.
- Our primary focus is on long term development rather than short term relief.
- A philosophy of unselfish concern for the welfare of others rather than self-gratification.
- An integration of local culture rather than an imposition of Canadian culture
- Ecumenical, with an emphasis on hope, respect and human dignity.
- Respect life from conception to natural death
- Provision of assistance without discrimination against race, religion, gender, or age.
- Treating all villagers impartially, in a manner that respects human dignity – both ours and theirs.
- Avoid situations that entice the village children to ignore their parents, teachers and church leaders.
- Refrain from giving personal gifts or money to the villagers. It is the philosophy of Guatemala Hope to enrich the life of the community rather than individuals.
- Missionaries are asked not to accept the invitation to become godparents to a child in Guatemala.
- In keeping with our organization’s Catholic roots, no artificial means of birth control will be provided.
The undersigned hereby acknowledges he/she has read the Guatemala Hope Code of Conduct and agrees to participate in the mission trip within the said guidelines.
DATED this ______day of __________, 201__, at ______________________ (location)
Print Name ____________________________________________________________________